The US government has ended its legal case against Apple, which had asked the company to build a version of iOS that would have unlocked an iPhone, after managing to unlock the device itself.
It is not clear how this was achieved, but the FBI said last week that it had been contacted by an 'outside party' that claimed to be able to crack the phone without Apple's help.
As a result, the case relating to the request to help unlock the phone has now ended.
"The government has successfully accessed the data stored on [terrorist Syed Rizwan] Farook's iPhone and therefore no longer requires assistance from Apple," prosecutors said in a court filing on Monday.
Apple said in a widely circulated statement that the case should never have been brought and that the company remains committed to stopping attempts to undermine the security of US citizens.
"From the beginning, we objected to the FBI's demand that Apple build a backdoor into the iPhone because we believed it was wrong and would set a dangerous precedent. As a result of the government's dismissal, neither of these occurred. This case should never have been brought," the firm said.
"We will continue to help law enforcement with their investigations, as we have done all along, and we will continue to increase the security of our products as the threats and attacks on our data become more frequent and more sophisticated."
The case may be over but it seems unlikely that the stand-off between governments and technology firms that provide encryption in their products will end, as the workaround achieved by the FBI in this case will not necessarily work every time.
Newer devices, as well as popular messaging services, now contain even stronger encryption protocols that make it all but impossible to access information without creating a 'backdoor'.
Doing this would fundamentally weaken the security of all devices because, if the backdoor was leaked, criminals and governments could access people's information.
Infected apps have been downloaded more than 50 million times
Customers of regular price-raising ISP and cable operator claim nationwide outages started on Monday
Pixel 2 smartphones and a Pixel-branded laptop also planned by Google
The moment you've all been waiting for...