G-Cloud total sales have passed the £1bn mark, a significant milestone for the government’s cloud procurement framework since its inception in 2012.
The total rose by £47m in January to reach a grand total of £1.006bn, indicating that the public sector is increasingly attracted to cloud services, products and consultancy.
Following the trends of previous months, 52 percent of sales by value and 62 percent of sales by volume have been awarded to small and medium enterprises.
This breakdown has remained fairly consistent over the past two years, demonstrating that the G-Cloud framework has been successful at allowing smaller companies to compete with large corporations for government contracts.
Some 76 percent of the purchases made through G-Cloud have been taken up by central government, while the wider public sector takes up the remaining 24 percent.
These figures fluctuated by one percent compared with the previous month, but do not indicate a major shift in spending on cloud services in or beyond Whitehall.
The Cabinet Office has once again failed to update the dashboard that breaks down the G-Cloud spending in more detail. But it would not be surprising going on previous trends to see that specialist cloud services contribute most to the G-Cloud sales pot, followed by software-as-a-service and infrastructure-as-a-service.
The government's Digital Marketplace IT procurement service saw a £5m sales hike in January to £47m. SMEs contributed to 40 percent of the sales, while 87 percent of the procured services and products went to central government.
The sales performance of both frameworks demonstrate an appetite for more digital services in government, which will be good news for Government Digital Service director Stephen Foreshew-Cain who is charged with driving the government’s digital transformation.
V3 is hosting a Cloud and Infrastructure Live summit on 20 and 21 April discussing numerous aspects of the cloud and how to best use it within your organisation. Sign up now to find out more.
US space agency believes the crater could have preserved ancient organic molecules from the water that flowed there billions of years ago
Valve quietly closes down hardware initiatives launched following Windows 8
Scientists create a virtual reality simulation of a black hole sitting at the centre of the Milky Way
Simulations like this can help people understand complicated systems in the universe in a better way
The most luminous galaxy ever discovered is cannibalising at least three of its smaller neighbours, study finds
The galaxy radiates at 350 trillion times the luminosity of the Sun