Google has launched a digital learning platform to provide UK-based small and medium enterprises (SMEs) with tailored learning advice to help them gain digital skills.
The search firm's Digital Garage Academy website is providing tutorials to teach SMEs how to succeed in a world increasingly dominated by online platforms and services.
This will offer advice on how to use social media, search engines and data analytics, and how to get started with search advertising to ensure that products and services are visible to the right audiences.
The Academy will also show SMEs how to use digital and mobile channels to target potential customers in their areas and internationally, as well as make use of video to reach and interact with customers.
Eileen Naughton, Google's managing director for UK and Ireland, said the Academy is a way to provide SMEs and entrepreneurs with access to Google's products and expertise to help their businesses become a "truly digitally savvy enterprise".
"Fewer than 30 percent of SMEs in the UK have an effective online presence, so Google aims to nurture digital expertise among the other 70 percent to help them reach new customers, manage marketing expenses and use data-driven consumer insights to help their business grow," she said.
"This autumn, as part of a ‘back to school' drive, we want to inspire business owners and their teams to think about how they could use the power of the web and take some time from their busy schedules to invest in developing new skills."
SME owners and their workers will need to complete a short questionnaire that helps them to receive learning in a customised way from experienced business people who Google calls "everyday experts".
However, the Academy cannot be seen as a totally selfless act, and no doubt SMEs that benefit will end up using Google services.
But the company does appear keen to promote digital skills in the UK, especially when it comes to getting women into the technology industry. Google recently supported the launch of the Girls in Tech UK Mentorship Programme.
Q3 losses reverse Q2 gains
FBI briefing US companies to dump Kaspersky, claiming intelligence prove it a 'threat to national security'
Kaspersky rejects FBI accusations that its products are a 'threat to national security'
But breached contractor says that it simply didn't have that much data
EE follows Three in threatening legal action against Ofcom - but for entirely different reasons