After several weeks focused on the Apple Watch and Apple Pay, the Cupertino firm has had a busy week all round, with announcements and events covering security, Mac OS and lawsuits. Here's everything you might have missed about Apple last week.
Apple is taking action to mitigate a major security vulnerability in its Mac OS X system.
The zero-day flaw was exposed in the latest build of OS X after German researcher Stefan Esser revealed how hackers can inject malware and adware into the Mac operating system without needing a password.
IBM has unveiled a series of tools designed to ease the process of adding large numbers of Macs to enterprise networks and ensuring that they integrate smoothly with systems and applications.
IBM said it has based the offering on its own deployment of Macs, termed [email protected], which provided insight into the challenges of adding Macs to an enterprise environment, and how to solve them.
This offering comes from the IBM MobileFirst Managed Mobility Services division, and will use Apple management software from JAMF Software as well as IBM's support and services.
Apple has defeated a US lawsuit brought by a former iPhone user who claimed that iMessage interfered with the delivery of her texts after she switched from an iPhone to an Android smartphone.
Adrienne Moore, a plaintiff in a class action lawsuit, filed her complaint in a San Jose court in November 2014, saying that she lost several messages after swapping smartphones but remaining on the same Verizon tariff.
Bloomberg reported that US district judge Lucy Koh ruled that the case cannot advance with class action status because it is unclear whether all of the proposed members of the suit suffered an inconvenience owing to any "contractual breach or interference" related to iMessage.
Apple Music has 11 million users just over a month since it became available with the iOS 8.4 update that rolled out to devices at the end of June.
Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president for internet software and services, revealed the number to USA Today. "We're thrilled with the numbers so far," he added.
Cue also said that two million of the 11 million have opted for the $14.99 a month family plan that can be used by up to six people. The figure of 11 million is just over half that of Spotify, which revealed in June that it has 20 million subscribers.
Apple Pay launched in the UK in July, and we've been trying out the mobile payment system on an Apple Watch to see how easy it is to set up and use.
Hackers targeting mobile and tablet devices can use an advanced form of Masque Attack to mirror popular apps like Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp and steal sensitive information.
The threat was revealed by security firm FireEye at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas, after researchers analysed the 400GB of data logs leaked from Hacking Team last month.
The researchers found that all major mobile operating systems, including iOS, Android, Windows and BlackBerry, were targeted by Hacking Team.
FireEye found a Remote Control System designed to hack into jailbroken iOS devices, but it was the calculated attempts to siphon data from non-jailbroken devices that was of most interest.
Lenovo has topped Apple as leader of the global PC market, despite both firms seeing shipments sink year over year.
The latest numbers from Canalys, which include sales of desktops, notebooks and tablets, showed that Lenovo shipped just short of 16 million PCs in the second quarter of 2015, a 5.6 percent year-on-year decline, giving it a 15 percent share of the global market.
Apple saw shipments dip 11.1 percent compared with Q2 2014, selling 15.9 million units during the three-month period and giving the firm a 14.4 percent slice of the pie. iPads accounted for 70 percent of these shipments, according to the analyst outfit.
There was a debate last week over at our sister site The INQUIRER to decide the best mobile operating system - iOS vs Android - and things got heated.
The debate has now closed, and the final results are in: 72 percent voted for Android, leaving just 28 percent on Team iOS.
Cotton seedling freezes to death as Chang'e-4 shuts down for the Moon's 14-day lunar night
Fortnite easily out-earns PUBG, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018
Meteor showers as a service will be visible for about 100 kilometres in all directions
Saturn's rings only formed in the past 100 million years, suggests analysis of Cassini space probe data
New findings contradict conventional belief that Saturn's rings were formed along with the planet about 4.5 billion years ago