G-Cloud sales have topped the £200m mark, the government has revealed, with SMEs still providing the majority of services.
SMEs, such as Memset and Skyscape, now make up 53 percent of the £217m total spend on G-Cloud, supporting the government's claim that G-Cloud is a good way to entice smaller companies to sell their services to government.
Large enterprises also contribute to a good proportion of G-Cloud spend with £101m worth of sales, lagging a little behind the £116m generated by SMEs.
Further good news for the government and cloud advocates is the announcement that average monthly spend on G-Cloud has also increased to £20m per month, potentially indicating that the adoption of cloud infrastructure is speeding up and permeating throughout the public sector.
Central government is still leading the way in G-Cloud adoption, taking up 80 percent of total sales value since the introduction of G-Cloud. The majority of the remaining 20 percent is taken up by wider public-sector services.
Local governments in particular seem to lag behind their peers in central government, contributing to less than six percent of total G-Cloud. This could be down to the slow broadband that blights a large part of the UK, particularly rural areas, making the use of cloud services difficult to implement.
G-Cloud and digital commercial programme director, Tony Singleton, believes that this lack of cloud adoption at council level is down to a lack of awareness of G-Cloud and other cloud services.
"I was asked at a Civil Service Live panel session what I saw as the biggest challenge over the next 12 months," he explained in a government blog post.
"This is, without a doubt, getting the message further across both central government and the wider public sector about the truly transformational benefits that Cloud First can deliver."
However in contrast to this challenge, the government also revealed that the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead will be the first UK local authority to move to an entirely cloud-based infrastructure. Particularly interesting is that the council only spent £100,000 to migrate their IT structure to the cloud.
Heaf attributes this low figure to the framework that backs public-sector cloud migration: "They are using a number of solutions including those bought through the G-Cloud. This support from local authorities goes to show that G-Cloud really is for everyone."
Now two years old, the G-Cloud framework and procurement process seems to have been knocked into shape after a less than positive start. With the government championing cloud adoption, no doubt it will be relieved and pleased with the progress made to date.
Dr Kuan Hon criticises GDPR consent emails that will only eviscerate marketing databases and 'media misinformation'
Apple squashes Steam Link app on 'business conflicts' grounds
Philip Hammond wants to forget rules that the UK agreed with the EU to ban non-European companies from the satellites
Instapaper to 'go dark' in Europe until it can work out GDPR compliance