BARCELONA: VMware continues to push its vision of the software-defined data centre as the future of IT operations, as the firm announced a number of updates to its cloud and end-user computing portfolios.
During his keynote at the VMworld 2013 Europe conference, VMware chief Pat Gelsinger said IT departments are still stuck with just 30 percent of expenditure going on innovation, with the other 70 percent of the budget being spent on maintenance alone.
"Our goal is to get IT to the spend being 50/50 or even better. IT needs to move from a situation where it is seen as a ball and chain, to something that drives the business forward," he said.
Gelsinger identified four key industry trends – social, mobile, cloud and big data – which are all linked and are together placing huge demands on existing IT infrastructure.
"The solution to all this is to deliver IT as a service, but it needs to be delivered with on-demand access, cost transparency, automated operations, on any cloud and any platform," he said.
On the automation side, VMware announced vCloud Automation Center 6.0, which offers customers a single solution for the rapid delivery of applications and support for DevOps automation tools, through the incorporation of VMware vCloud Application Director.
This enables IT departments to deliver a complete self-service catalogue for cloud resources, including applications, virtual desktops and services, according to Gelsinger. "This is the interface for delivering IT as a service," he said.
VMware also announced vCenter Operations Management Suite 5.8, which provides oversight and control over the costs and quality of IT services, according to VMware. This includes comparisons of the cost of services of operating on VMware infrastructure, compared with others such as Microsoft Hyper-V or Amazon Web Services.
Meanwhile, vCenter Log Insight 1.5 is designed to monitor data from applications and infrastructure to help improve operational efficiency. It is a powerful tool to look at logs and other unstructured data to provide real-time insights and improve application health monitoring, VMware said.
VMware also announced the availability of a new backup tool, vSphere Data Protection 5.5 Advanced. This provides network-efficient backup data replication, integration with EMC Data Domain, a new Microsoft SharePoint agent, and automated backup verification.
In its end-user computing portfolio, VMware announced updates to its VMware Horizon Suite that runs atop vSphere, including workstation-class 3D graphics support in Horizon View virtual desktops. This is made possible using Virtual Dedicated Graphics Acceleration (vDGA) enabled by Nvidia GRID technology to support high-performance graphics and compute workloads, the firm said.
VMware also announced general availability of its NSX network virtualisation platform, which launched at VMworld San Francisco in August.
The VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) platform that was announced at the same time is also now available for download as a public beta. This is expected to hit general availability sometime in the first half of 2014, VMware said.
Cotton seedling freezes to death as Chang'e-4 shuts down for the Moon's 14-day lunar night
Fortnite easily out-earns PUBG, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018
Meteor showers as a service will be visible for about 100 kilometres in all directions
Saturn's rings only formed in the past 100 million years, suggests analysis of Cassini space probe data
New findings contradict conventional belief that Saturn's rings were formed along with the planet about 4.5 billion years ago