The European Commission (EC) has told Google that its antitrust proposals – outlined earlier this year following concerns that it is downgrading rivals' results in its search returns – are not good enough and need reworking.
Speaking at a conference on Wednesday the European competition commissioner Joaquín Almunia said that after looking through the proposals by Google unveiled earlier this year, he concluded not enough has been offered and he has already informed Google of this opinion.
"After an analysis of the market test that was concluded on 27 June, I concluded that the proposals that Google sent to us are not enough to overcome our concerns," he said, according to multiple reports.
"In this sense, I wrote a letter to Google, to Mr Schmidt [Eric, Google executive chairman], asking Google to present better proposals, to improve its proposal.”
In response Google did not comment directly on the statement from Almunia but said it was still working with the EC on the case. “Our proposal to the European Commission clearly addresses their four areas of concern. We continue to work with the Commission to settle this case."
The statement from the EC is likely to be welcomed by those such as Nokia, Microsoft and UK search site Foundem, which have all heavily criticised Google in the past for the way it uses its dominance in the search market to promote its own products.
The case is just one of many Google is fighting at present in both the US and Europe, with an investigation into its Android platform also underway on the continent.
Kicking Palantir off of AWS is among their demands, too
Rafaela Vasquez was watching The Voice at the time of the crash, new evidence shows
PUBG price slashed on Steam after selling more than 50 million copies - as daily player numbers plunge
Use the same password for every website? It might be time to change them all