Business networking site LinkedIn has bought news aggregation app Pulse in a deal worth roughly $90m, in a bid to improve user engagement with stories on the site.
Pulse, which claims to have more than 30 million users of its iOS and Android-based app, was founded in 2010 by Stanford University students, Akshay Kothari and Ankit Gupta.
“Pulse’s core value proposition is to help foster informed discussions that spark the decisions shaping the world around us through news and information,” said Deep Nishar, senior vice president of products and user experience, at LinkedIn.
According to Kothari and Gupta, the acquisition will help pulse reach more users.
“For now, the Pulse apps will remain the same, and our two teams are excited to work together to create cool and useful new offerings,” the two wrote on company blog confirming the deal.
While the deal is worth $90m to the two Pulse entrepreneurs, it doesn't yet catapult them into the super rich list in Silicon Valley. Just 10 percent of deal is in cash, with the remaining 90 percent coming in stock.
Nonetheless, the acquisition helps LinkedIn grow is services, having last month posted quarterly profits up 66 percent to $40m.
It also boasted its user base had shot up to 200 million – up 39 percent on a year ago.
PUBG news and updates: November's Update #23 to bring new Skorpion pistol and changes to blue zone visibility
Genuinely useful side-arm coming to PUBG in Update #23
Asda, Morrisons and Tesco in the frame for checkout facial recognition technology
Research opens up new possibilities for structural batteries, where the carbon fibre forms part of the energy system
Another shape could have indicated hard-to-detect particles