Apple is warning long-time users of its soon to be retired MobileMe service of a looming cut which could see some lose as much as 20GB of free storage.
The company issued advisories to users, according to some reports, warning that as of 30 September, the free storage capacity for it iCloud service would be reduced to 5GB, down from the larger storage capacities enjoyed by users of the then MobileMe service.
Apple had offered users an additional 20GB of data early in the platform's existence. As the MobileMe brand was rolled into the iCloud service, however, Apple said that it would be reducing the free storage offer for all users down to 5GB.
The company said users who have more than 5GB of data stored on their service can either purchase a new plan to cancel the downgrade or delete excessive data prior to the downgrade in order to keep iCloud backup services running.
The news comes as Apple continues with what is expected to be a record rollout for its latest line of iPhone handsets. The iPhone 5, which went on sale in the US and UK on 21 September, has moved an estimated 5 million units in its first 72 hours of availability and will likely smash previous sales records for Apple.
The iCloud platform has come under some fire as of late. Last week, users were irked to find that the platform's iMessage service was out or dramatically slowed worldwide for several hours. The situation has since been remedied.
Infected apps have been downloaded more than 50 million times
Customers of regular price-raising ISP and cable operator claim nationwide outages started on Monday
Pixel 2 smartphones and a Pixel-branded laptop also planned by Google
The moment you've all been waiting for...