The Ministry of Defence's (MoD) security chief has warned that the UK needs to take urgent measures to combat the growing threat of cyber attacks, revealing the organisation has itself recently been breached.
Major general Jonathan Shaw made the claim during an interview with The Guardian, reporting there is an increasing number of attacks now targeting the UK.
"The number of serious incidents is quite small, but it is there. The likelihood is there are problems in there [MoD networks] we don't know about," he said.
Shaw suggested that the MoD will have to seek aid from young people to effectively combat criminals and hostile nation's cyber attacks.
"My generation, we are far too old for this; it is not what we have grown up with. Our natural recourse is to reach for a pen and paper. And although we can set up structures, we really need to be on listening mode for this one," he said.
"That will pose a real challenge to us. This thing is moving too fast. The only people who spot what is happening are people at the coal face and that is the young kids. We have to listen to them and they have to talk to us."
The general went on to lend credence to the theory that nations states are currently in the midst of a covert cyber war, stating the UK was "trying to engage the Chinese on rules of the road in cyberspace".
In the past allegations have consistently floated towards China - a fact noted by Bit 9 chief executive Patrick Morley in an interview with V3 earlier in 2012.
The news follows a successful distributed denial of service attack on the UK Serious Organised Crime Agency's (SOCA) website. The attack occurred on Wednesday and came after the site took 36 sites suspected of offering stolen credit card data offline.
Connexin drops out of Ofcom auction due to start next week
SwiftKey users now send two billion emoji every week
Recruitment plans are 'most ambitious ever', claims Openreach HR director Kevin Brady
Samsung's under-the-hood improvements separate the S9 from the pack when it comes to the display