Telecoms equipment manufacturer Lucent has acquired optical networking startup Ignitus to beef up its data capabilities for carrier class optical networks.
The company originally acquired a 56 per cent stake in Ignitus in March 1999 and bought the remaining 44 per cent to gain greater control over Ignitus's 3500 Integrated Access Switch.
A Lucent spokeswoman said: "Large internet service providers have already invested in different optical networking technologies that handle voice traffic. Ignitus 3500 plugs into service providers networks to run data, thereby enabling them to maintain their existing equipment."
Lucent said Ignitus's products would work with its DDM 2000 networking technology which enables voice to be carried over optical networks. The Ignitus switch moves data traffic over optical/Sonet and asynchronous transfer mode edge devices in metropolitan networks.
Cotton seedling freezes to death as Chang'e-4 shuts down for the Moon's 14-day lunar night
Fortnite easily out-earns PUBG, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018
Meteor showers as a service will be visible for about 100 kilometres in all directions
Saturn's rings only formed in the past 100 million years, suggests analysis of Cassini space probe data
New findings contradict conventional belief that Saturn's rings were formed along with the planet about 4.5 billion years ago