Development tools supplier Prolifics launched its Panther component based development framework this week to enable users to build transaction based systems for the Web and ebusiness.
The tool can handle components from different sources, including those based on the dominant industry component models - Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), Microsoft's COM and the Object Management Group's Corba specification.
Norman Leader, Panther's UK country manager said: "Panther tackles challenges like getting on the Web, resource shortages and time constraints. It protects the programmer from the vagaries of different component models. A programmer can build an application on a small system like NT, based on the COM model, and redeploy it onto an EJB server. Portability is made easy."
But Phil Costa, senior industry analyst for Giga Information Group said: "Portability is not a common need as not many people want to develop the same application for multiple platforms. But flexibility is comforting. Takeovers do happen, where it might be necessary to migrate to another platform, and the requirements of an application can change. A company may want it to integrate with systems that support other architectures."
Panther is based on prebuilt object templates, which, Leader claimed, provide 90 per cent of the functionality necessary for most Web or ecommerce applications, leaving programmers to write the extra 10 per cent of event code in Java, C++ or C so they can "focus on the business logic and not talking to the environment".
He also attested that: "What takes five days to develop in C can take half a day in Panther" because of the visual nature of the development environment.
A three seat license starts at £30,000.
Dust storm on Titan only the third Solar System body where such storms have been observed
New technique could enable quantum computers to scale-up to millions of qubits
Systrom and Krieger taking time off "to explore our curiosity and creativity"
Comcast's £29.7bn winning bid more than twice the £13.7bn Rupert Murdoch valued Sky at just eight years ago