The certification indicates that the Linux distribution meets a set of requirements for availability, reliability, performance and the service response times typically required by telecoms providers.
"CGL registration marks an important milestone in Debian's support for Linux in communications infrastructure," said Debian project leader Anthony Towns.
"With the assistance of our industry partners in meeting OSDL's CGL specifications, we look forward to better addressing the needs of the increasing market for Linux systems in telecoms."
HP has been pushing the CGL registration, and uses Debian on servers for telecoms applications.
The CGL certification is limited to the Debian 3.1 version, codenamed 'Sarge'. The new release also offers security updates and deploys the 2.6.8 Linux kernel.
Red Hat does not sign up to the standard because it finds some elements lacking. Compliance is not audited, for instance, forcing users to rely on the distribution's reputation and track record.
Red Hat claims that its Linux distribution incorporates about 85 per cent of the CGL's requirements, and dismisses the remaining 15 per cent as " immature technologies".
Cotton seedling freezes to death as Chang'e-4 shuts down for the Moon's 14-day lunar night
Fortnite easily out-earns PUBG, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018
Meteor showers as a service will be visible for about 100 kilometres in all directions
Saturn's rings only formed in the past 100 million years, suggests analysis of Cassini space probe data
New findings contradict conventional belief that Saturn's rings were formed along with the planet about 4.5 billion years ago