Motorola's Droid X handset has launched in the US, and the early response could be discouraging for users hoping to hack the devices.
Multiple user and researcher reports suggest that the handset contains security components which could prevent users from performing certain modifications.
Users who do attempt to tamper with the operating system could find the handset disabled in a condition that can only be resolved by Motorola.
The reports arose as part of an otherwise mostly smooth launch for the Droid X. Motorola said that it did not anticipate a shortage, although reports of minor activation delays surfaced on Thursday evening.
Motorola introduced the Droid X late last month. The handset sports a 4.3in touch screen, an 8-megapixel camera and support for removable SD storage.
The release of the Droid X comes at a fortuitous time for Motorola. One of the handset's biggest smartphone rivals, the iPhone 4, has been under fire for an error in the antenna which interferes with reception.
Apple is planning to address the issue today in a press conference.
BT wants to make the public switched telephone network history within eight years
Personal data being purloined by third parties via Facebook Login API
MacOS and iOS are better off apart, says CEO Tim Cook
Or they'll no longer be entitled to updates and bug patches