A Motorola Droid 2 smartphone has exploded against a man's ear, according to reports.
American Aron Embry was taken to hospital when the screen of his Droid 2 smartphone apparently exploded outwards, causing facial injuries.
"I heard a pop. I didn't feel any pain initially. I pulled the phone down. I felt something dripping. I realised that it was probably blood," he told Fox News.
"I went into the house and once I got to the mirror and saw it, it was only then I looked at my phone and noticed the screen had appeared to burst outward, " he said.
The handset still works despite being cracked and covered in blood, and Embry is looking to Motorola to help with medical bills since he lacks health insurance.
Such problems are not unknown but are usually down to the use of third-party equipment or unsafe handling. Batteries have been particularly prone to failure, but this is one of the first problems involving an exploding screen.
Cotton seedling freezes to death as Chang'e-4 shuts down for the Moon's 14-day lunar night
Fortnite easily out-earns PUBG, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018
Meteor showers as a service will be visible for about 100 kilometres in all directions
Saturn's rings only formed in the past 100 million years, suggests analysis of Cassini space probe data
New findings contradict conventional belief that Saturn's rings were formed along with the planet about 4.5 billion years ago