Despite the attention given to disaster recovery and backup since last September, analysts still maintain that most businesses do not have the required infrastructure in place.
Worldwide small and medium sized-businesses (SMBs) are the least likely to have invested sufficiently in their business continuity planning.
Gartner estimates that only 35 per cent of SMBs have a comprehensive disaster recovery plan in place and fewer than 10 per cent have crisis management, contingency, business recovery and business resumption plans.
That is despite the potentially crippling effects of being caught without contingency plans. Two out of five enterprises that experience a disaster will go out of business within five years of the event, according to Gartner.
That situation may already be in the process of changing. "Any disaster locally makes companies in that area realise the need for disaster recovery. September 11 was the first truly worldwide wake-up call," said Donna Scott, vice president and research director for Gartner.
That worldwide awareness will help push spending on disaster recovery up to 20 per cent higher than previously expected, according to analysts at Gartner.
"Companies have spent the last six months figuring out what they need. In the second half of this year we will see spending really increase as companies start to implement disaster recovery contracts," said Scott.
Although the terrorist attacks of last year did much to heighten the profile of disaster recovery, it is often the far more commonplace failures that can cripple a company.
Gartner maintains that 80 per cent of mission-critical application service downtime is directly caused by people or process failures. The other 20 per cent is caused by technology failure, environmental failure or a disaster.
Cotton seedling freezes to death as Chang'e-4 shuts down for the Moon's 14-day lunar night
Fortnite easily out-earns PUBG, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018
Meteor showers as a service will be visible for about 100 kilometres in all directions
Saturn's rings only formed in the past 100 million years, suggests analysis of Cassini space probe data
New findings contradict conventional belief that Saturn's rings were formed along with the planet about 4.5 billion years ago