Platform: Windows XP
License: Time limited demo
Number of downloads: 673
This is a comprehensive tool for analysing and repairing Windows executable files that includes a visual resource editor, quick function syntax lookup, dependency scanner, section editor and disassembler.
PE Explorer lets you view PE (portable executable) files, the native format of executable binaries for 32-bit Windows operating systems (EXE, DLL, SCR for example). Once inside, source code can be analysed, checksums corrected and resources repaired.
The visual resource editor lets you extract, modify and translate any executable file resource without the need for scripts.
The dependency scanner allows all modules statically linked to a particular PE file to be recursively scanned, with a list of files required for an application to run or for a DLL to load displayed. It will also show missing modules and detect delay-load dependencies.
The key features of PE Explorer are as follows:
- Ability to open broken/packed files in safe mode
- Support for custom plug-ins
- Checksum computing and modification
- Review contents of section as raw data
- Section header recalculation
- Modify and repair damaged section headers
- View and modify almost any kind of resource
- Quick function syntax lookup
- Syntax description editor
- Source code and package information analyser
- Built-in disassembler
- Dependency scanner.
Another neat tool is the Windows XP Visual Style Manifest Wizard. This allows a Windows XP control style to be added to legacy applications for a new lease of life.